The only publication of its kind, the Mockingbird Times is a monthly newspaper designed and written by youth who have experienced the challenges of foster care and/or homelessness.
This forum for self-expression, the award-winning paper is filled with articles, essays, poetry, art and photography. It is produced by a staff of about 15 to 20 individuals, ranging in age from 14-23, each of whom is paid well above the minimum wage for their contribution.
The Mockingbird Times offers a print and online platform for youth to share their unique insights and experiences, while highlighting reform issues that are important to youth who have grown up in the system. With a well-established distribution that covers every state, the publication is a crucial vehicle for public education and advocacy.
You can receive the Mockingbird Times by email, online or as an insert in Seattle’s Real Change newspaper. Sign-up to receive a monthly copy!
How to get published in the Mockingbird Times
The Mockingbird Times is always looking for new writers, artists and photographers from around the country to contribute to the paper. We welcome submissions from young people who have experienced the foster care system and/or homelessness and pay between $20 and $25 per published piece.
$20-25 poetry, artwork, photos, articles, essays or reviews between 300-750 words
- No profanity, glorified violence or sexuality.
- No racist, homophobic, sexist or other discriminatory works accepted.
- No names of people or agencies without their consent.
- The name you would like published with your submission (if different from your name).
- Contact information (phone number and/or email).
- Mailing address where you would like the payment sent.
By submitting your entry, you agree to the following terms:
- As the author of your submission, you retain full ownership of it and may publish it elsewhere or otherwise do what you wish with it without the permission of The Mockingbird Society.
- You represent and warrant that your submission is your original work and is not copied from or include anyone else's work.
- The Mockingbird Society may use your submission for any purpose. You grant to The Mockingbird Society a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, fully-paid up, irrevocable license to reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display and create derivative works of your submission.
- The Mockingbird Society may or may not publish your submission, at its sole discretion. While The Mockingbird Society will try to preserve the character of your submission in any publication of your submission, The Mockingbird Society reserves the right to edit your submission as it sees fit.
- As full consideration for your entering into this contract, The Mockingbird Society will pay you the sum of $20 – $25. We will mail you a check to the address you provide.
To mail in your submission, print out this form and mail it to:
The Mockingbird Society
Mockingbird Times Submission
2100 24th Avenue South, Suite 240
Seattle, WA 98144
Phone: (206) 323-5437
Fax: (206) 323-1003